Why Would You Choose Colocation for Web Hosting
Colocation is a type of web hosting, where you can store you server at a Data Center. The server is owned by the customer but they then hire rack space where they store the server. means that Colocation is basically sharing one location with another. It usually costs more than basic Web hosting, but less than a comparable amount of the bandwidth into your place of business. Colocation hosting service gives users much faster connections than your typical residential or business internet plan.
Unless you have the technical know-how in-house, colocation is not worth the investment in time, money, and expertise for most small businesses. As with any service, colocation web hosting comes out with its own benefits and disadvantages.
Benefits Of Colocation Hosting:
- Greater amount of bandwidth is available. So if you need to use more it’ll be readily available.
- Colocation hosting is cheaper than hosting your own server.
- Makes necessary upgrades easy to obtain.
- Your server is stored in a secure location.
- Room temperatures remain perfect for your equipment.
- Should you move your business to a new location, your sever doesn’t have to move with you.
- You have more flexibility and the ability to customize your needs.
- Servers are fast and powerful.
- You have and full control over your server.
Disadvantages of Colocation Hosting:
- Initial start-up costs are high.
- Colocation hosting is more costly than basic hosting.
- You must purchase your own equipment and updates.
- Fluctuating monthly costs due to bandwidth use makes budgeting difficult.
- Locating a data center near your location could be challenging (click link to search for data center locations near your place of business).
- Maintenance to server must be performed off-site at data center location.
- Time restrictions at data center might make access for maintenance less convenient
- You are fully responsible for maintaining your own server, so you’ll need a tech savvy person on staff.